Wednesday, April 14, 2010

lost post--everybody loves hugo:

Have someone coming over tonight, so this is going to be pretty choppy.

Someone pointed out that Dr. Chang, whom we knew worked at the Natural History Museum from Sawyer's ep, should've looked a lot older.  Truth be told, I know quite a few Asians around 70 who don't look it at all, closer to 50, really.  So who knows if this was intentional or if it's just that yellow don't mellow.  [Edit:  His hair does appear to have gray, although it might be the lighting]  We see Hurley's mom; no Cheech, though.

In the alternate timeline, at the mental hospital, I think I saw the "numbers" guy--would've been cool if he mentioned the numbers again--playing Connect Four again?  [Edit:  Someone confirmed that the numbers guy, was in fact not there in this scene--maybe why Hurley is not "unlucky" in the alt]  We see the island photo in the doctor's office, and he's the same (Hurley's?) doctor from before, and the wall hangings inside are mostly the same.

The young boy is the same actor as the one who played the little blond boy, but now he's a brunette and looking older--Desmond sees him, and Sawyer saw him (or the other one) last time, but not Richard.  Why?  Are they Jacob reborn and growing fast, or are the Jacob and MiB as kids, or just some other kids in charge?

The whispers were revealed to be voices of the dead who are stuck like ghosts due to what they've done.  I didn't like the explanation, but I guess it's one way of doing it.  Would've been cool if Michael, Eko, and others showed up that second time and not just Michael, but I guess Hurley only talks to one at a time.

Ilana blowing up was a semi-surprise, but I was hoping she would've died more heroically, maybe while actually protecting the candidates.  All the time they invested in her feels a bit wasted to me, not to mention how she trained her whole life for it, and now she's just another pawn.  Bye-bye, Ilana.  You got Arzted.

Desmond told Ben in the alt-u very readily that his son's name is Charlie.  Premonition?  Just from hanging out with a Charlie and working for a Charles?  New awareness?  And btw, I was glad to see a teacher looking out for the kids.  Creepy Desmond.

Why did he run over Locke?  I don't think it was to give him a near-death experience, but maybe.  I thought he wanted to get rid of Locke--maybe he never knows that Smokey on the island is not really Locke.  There are others like Daniel or Libby who don't have to face death to see their love.

Ben, Miles, and Richard separate from the pack because they have different ideas about what they should do.  Sun, Lapidus, Jack, and Hurley go see Locke.  Now Locke has all the candidates together, or does he?  Depends on if it's Jin or Sun.

The new Jack is more likeable or respectable--he comes to terms with reality and takes responsibility for his actions and his decisions as a leader.  He shows Hurley that he trusts him, similar to how Hurley followed him way back when (but regretted it later).

Hurley appears to take Jacob's ashes from Ilana's things.  Ilana has a book by Fiodor Dostoyevsky called Zapiski iz podpolya (Записки из подполья); English translation: Notes from Underground.  Interesting quote from Wiki:

"War is described as people's rebellion against the assumption that everything needs to happen for a purpose, because humans do things without purpose, and this is what determines human history."
Numbers:  Connect Four, 42 is Desmond's order number

I do not recall Hurley looking at his reflection like our other candidates. 

Libby's back. And the actress originally declined, so good for her. But I do feel like they've spent so much time on these alternate realities, and I wish the direction had been to just go back and reveal things to us. I know the producers said she was in the mental hospital originally because her husband passed, but there's so much more they could have done with all the actors returning to reveal backstories. I don't know. I get it, but I wish, for example, the whispers were revealed as something more complex, and we could've seen the backstory there.  Or why/how Hurley sees the ghosts or that pterodactyl/Hurley bird.  They've answered things, but many of them with just a quick blurt rather than a full reveal.  I guess they've just been focusing on the last few episodes.  But at least things are moving along.  But, Desmond, don't run over any more people in wheelchairs!

15 comments:

cynthia said...

i totally loved this episode, too! but i hear you on the blurting out the whispering thing. that was a little lame and anti climactic... i was trying to remember the other times they heard that sound and what happened right after... was it always some dead person appearing? or was that connected with the smoke monster appearing?

here's another thing: remember when i "asked" [the air] what was up with the man in black's reaching out his hand to everyone? some people decline to accept it. but DESMOND accepted! noooooo! so i was wondering if the way he nonchalantly ran over john locke was a little sayid-esque... non-feeling, non-emotional. weird.

was he trying to get rid of MIB's opportunity to have locke's body, or some freaky sayid-sickness going on?

perhaps is was because charlie just revealed something major to him while he was supposed to baby sit him, or maybe he knows about his son charlie. that's interesting. i had always thought that they named the son charlie after charlie pace, but it makes a lot of sense that he's named after penny's dad, the man whose approval desmond sought.

that was some creepy tit-for-tat. MIB throws desmond into the well, desmond runs over locke.

I STILL THINK LAPIDUS IS "WALLACE." look at who walked into MIB's camp: hurley, jack, sun, and LAPIDUS. i don't think desmond was a candidate. he's too "special." ;)

also to support my theory, MIB says the only way they (the candidates) found the island was because they all came together. well, lapidus was on that plane.

don't ask me why he wasn't on the original plane... but we know he was "supposed to be."

alright, i think that's it. :)

cynthia said...

oh, i was gonna say, i TOTALLy expected ilana to get blown up. she was being really rough with the dynamite and it looked super corroded.

i guess in her life-long training, they didn't teach her how to pick out 150 year old dynamite.

Amy H. said...

@cynthia--yeah, I liked the episode for going back to the gotchas and progressing the story, but there are some aspects of it I didn't like.

The whispers usually happened before the Others showed up, or before Walt showed up in the earlier seasons, as if to warn. They had the transcripts here:
http://lostwhispering.blogspot.com/ (there was a better site, but no time to find it right now).

Yes, Desmond did accept his hand! I don't know if it was because he was not afraid, or if he actually is going with MiB. That's an interesting theory. I watched him running Locke over again, and he makes this happy little "I got you!" smirk as he does it, so it's not entirely emotionless like Sayid.

It can't be coincidence that Charlie and Charles Widmore have the same name--can it?

Lapidus hasn't been killed yet, so maybe he is Wallace? They still need him as a pilot for the plane. I thought Desmond because Wallace is Scottish like he is (not to mention special), but then again Miles' last name became Straume (just for maelstrom, but still weird). I can see that he'd be too "special," too. If they introduce another new character named Wallace, I'm going to be up in arms. Here's what was weird for me--when everyone flashed to different places, Sun, Ben, and Lapidus did not end up where the other candidates did, thus I believed also that Lapidus was not a candidate and neither was Sun.

Yeah, Ilana's blowing up was a semi-surprise, meaning you kind of knew once she was upset and being careless with the dynamite, but overall, I felt like they shouldn't have introduced her so late just to do that to her. On the other hand, go ahead and blow Zoe up. Sorry--I don't wish that on anyone in real life, but the show's winding down.

cynthia said...

my sister thinks they're not done explaining the whispering thing, because it always seemed like a precursor to the smoke.

i second the motion, but someone had to be able to run away from sayid and tell widmore what happened...

augh, just be over already so i can go on with my life!!!!

Amy H. said...

Yes, that's right--the whispers did proceed the smoke early on. It seems like their purpose changed, but if they are ghosts, then I guess they can talk about whatever they want. My guesses were either that they were the alternate timelines on the island bleeding through or that they were scientists observing what was going on. Maybe that's why it's better not to guess?

Wait, who ran away from Sayid to Widmore?

"augh, just be over already so i can go on with my life!!!!"
I know! Just a little over a month left, and we'll be free!

Amy H. said...

sorry--*precede*

And the actress that plays Ilana said they would explain why she was in the Russian hospital, so they're probably not done with her yet either.

cynthia said...

zoe!! you said you wouldn't mind if zoe got blown up. me too, but there had to be _someone_ surviving sayid's intrusion into their plans, so widmore would still be "in the know" of all things. ;)

Skitguru said...

KABOOM! I wasn't expecting that.

I don't think Lapidus is Wallace. Jacob sent Hurley to the lighthouse because someone else is coming to the island. We find out that 108 is Wallace. Lapidus was already on the island so it can't be him. I used to think Desmond was Wallace, but not anymore. I think Wallace may be Walt now.

Walt is one major loose end in this story with questions that go back to season 1. It would be so lame to just conclude with him not in the story. I also suspect that the whispering explanation is lame on purpose. I think there may be more to it than that just because Walt was somehow appearing after the whispers and then talking backwards and stuff. Weird things.

Amy H. said...

Hey Kev, Manny thinks Wallace might be Walt as well. I told him Walt Wallace was a funny name. lol I hope you're right! That would be the one person I'd really like them to see them bring back.

cynthia said...

ugh... kevin even said that last time! why don't i remember these key points... ok, so lapidus is probably not a candidate, or at least not wallace. i will let that one go... til i forget that facts again. Hahaha!

Skitguru said...

Hah, I wasn't sure if anyone saw that last post. I put it in like a week after the episode.

Oh yeah, I was also thinking that Desmond is going to have a hard time winning Penny over after running over a disabled guy on purpose. My guess is that Desmond has figured out that the alt universe isn't real. Maybe everyone has to figure it out for it to end or something. Or maybe the near death experience is what Locke needs to see the other side of things. Although hitting a guy with your car isn't always a guarantee for near death. It could just guarantee death. Or it could just be payback. You throw me in a well, I'll run you over with my car. Looking forward to next week's episode.

Dan Thornton said...

What's all this talk about Wallace? I don't get it? Why are we looking for someone named Wallace? What did I miss that I don't get it? I'm so confused by all this Wallace talk!


I can't believe Desmond got thrown into that well. But if he survived two nuclear explosions, maybe he can survive that, too! Crazy episode. I definitely think Desmond running down Locke was payback, but that's just me.

Dan Thornton said...

That last comment was Angie T., not Daniel, FYI. :) For some reason I was signed in as him. Thanks for your comments, Amy - and everyone else!

Amy H. said...

Angie--I thought you were someone signing in as Daniel Faraday/Widmore. Ok, too much LOST on the brain!

It's mostly what Kev said--when Jacob tells Hurley to get Jack to the lighthouse, he says someone is coming. When we see the wheel in the lighthouse, the only names that have not been crossed out are the remaining candidates, AND a peculiar name next to 108: Wallace!

I said the same thing about the well, and Manny was saying it's totally possible if it's just maybe 10-15 ft. I'm all, "but head first?" But of course like the Michael cameo, they gave it away in the promos that Desmond survives. Must have been an EM coil in there or something. jk

cynthia said...

yeah... LOST on the brain... why do i keep coming back here after days and days? LOL

i think the 'sideways' desmond and the island desmond switched places.

i think the sideways desmond was the one that was thrown into the well, and the island desmond, knowledgeable about both realities, ran over wheelchair guy.

April 2026 (Naomi's birthday, Michael, dinner dates, Frenchie puppies, Artemis launch)

Naomi had her big milestone birthday in April, and we got to make up for our Hello Kitty Cafe celebration for my birthday by celebrating her...